Birth Defect Testing To Do Or Not To Do

10 Replies
lisarenee - March 5

I am 8 weeks pregnant and looking into Chorionic Villi Sampling or Amniocentesis. Has anyone done either of these tests? Is anyone else considering it?


heather28 - March 5

I'm scared of the Amnio b/c of the fact that it can cause miscarriages. I have to make a decision whether or not to do what they call a quad screen. It's a blood test to where they check for birth defects, but you can get false pos and false neg. They said if it turns out pos. then I'd be given the choice to do an amnio. I don't know what I'm going to do. I WILL NOT do the amnio unless it is necessary.


lisarenee - March 5

I like that idea, I would rather not do anything to disturb the fluids in there. I guess there also is a small chance of the test causing it's own birth defect to limbs!


lisarenee - March 5

Oops, I was a little ahead of myself. I am exactly 6 weeks 4 days.


lmk - March 5

i'm thinking of doing the nuchal test, and if that comes up high risk, then doing the CVS...otherwise I'll do the amnio for sure as i'm over 35.


jb - March 6

When I was pregnant with my first, we were also offered these tests. We decided that no matter if the baby is healthy or has birth defects, we are going to keep him/her. Because of that decision, we decided not to get the tests done. I was also told there is high rate of false positives. I didn't need another thing to worry about. I just put faith in God that my baby would come out healthy. On feb 11, 2006 I had that healthy and perfect little girl!!!


MrsShelton217 - March 6

I know that there are many varying opinions on this issue. I just don't think that I would want to have any kind of birth defect testing done. Only because regardless of what the tests show, I would keep my child (b/c God gave him or her to me for a reason). I would love and care for the child always. A defect, or even major health issue wouldn't change my feelings. I do, however, understand why doctors do the testing. I also understand why some parents choose to test also. Some people would rather be prepared ahead of time for what may or may not come. I respect that.


ginger6363 - March 6

Hey lisa, Chorionic Villi Sampling or Amniocentesis are pretty intense tests. Have you thought about NT and or Quad screening first? Those are less evasive and if they come back abnormal then you can go for the CVS or amnio. I had the NT at 12 wks (negative) and I will most likely have another screening at 16 wks, if that one is negative then that's all I'll do.


lisarenee - March 6

Yep, thats what I have decided to do also.


kerryv - March 6

you have to determine if the results are going to make a difference to you or not. if something comes back positive- are you going to abort? if not, then dont bother. there are so many false positives with many of those tests as well. we decided not to do any of those tests b/c regardless of the results, it would not have changed anything, we were not going to abort.


Pipa - March 7

Personally, I wouldn't terminate a pregnancy no matter the results. However, it can be helpful to be prepared emotionally and in other ways if something is going to be an issue. That said, because these tests are risky I would only get one if my personal medical or family history pointed toward a high risk of such problems. If you have any doubts maybe you shouldn't go there. Good luck and happy and healthy 9 months!



You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Sign Up Here!

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?