Need To Vent-pg119327316525

10 Replies
reneenay - October 24

Okay, so last week I had my first pregnancy pap...I get a call today and of course I am freaked out. They usually don't call unless there is a problem. I am told by the woman on the phone that I have a yeast infection. This comes as a surprise to me because I have no symptoms...just discharge, but hey, I'm pregnant. Soooo, the woman on the phone, who just works in the front office, takes it upon herself to prescribe me oral diflucan. She claimed to have my file in front of her...and yet she didn't even know I was pregnant! She prescribed me the diflucan anyway and told me to take it regardless of whether or not I have any symptoms...then I did some research on-line about diflucan and most of the things I read stated that it is NOT RECOMMENDED FOR PREGNANT WOMEN! What the *#$%? I can't believe some person in the front office can just prescribe something like that without even knowing anything about my file, who didn't even know I am pregnant, and has no knowledge about whether it is safe or not. Lastly, there is another patient at the place I go to with the same exact name as me, so half the time I am not even sure whether they are calling the right Renee...any suggestions about what I should do? Are these grounds for going someplace else? I really like my N.P. and would hate to leave, but with every interaction I have with the ladies in the front office, they make some sort of mistake. Thanks for letting me vent...it got me all fired up.

kay101 - October 24

Hm....did you call and talk to your doctor? You can always also ask the pharmacist when you pick up your prescription. They can even call the doctors office for you and get the prescription switched to something else over the phone. I had a yeast infection my first appointment with my last pregnancy and didn't have any symptoms either. I've never had one but from what I've read I didn't have any itching or funny discharge. They just prescribed me a one dose cream.

jennifer_33106 - October 24

Actually I dont think it is legal for someone other then a licensed doctor to prescribe medication. I would strongly suggest talking this over with your doctor and informing him. He may know nothing about it. I may be wrong but if I am right she may be in some serious trouble!

reneenay - October 24

I am planning on calling tomorrow morning and hopefully talking to someone who actually has some knowledge, like my Dr or NP. Hopefully I will get everything straightened out. It's just more irritating than anything. Just put it this way...you always have to look out for yourself no matter what! I am also going to check with the pharmacist to make double-sure.

jennifer_33106 - October 24

GL ad let us know what happens!?

ChattyKathy - October 24

Definitely talk to your DR and let them know what happened! But kuddos for you making sure that the medicine was safe or not. Most women don't really think about it, but prescriptions CAN be wrong!

reneenay - October 25

The funny thing is, I haven't even met my Dr yet...just my NP. I was a new patient before I got pregnant, and I won't meet my Dr. until my Dec. appointment. But I will let my NP know for sure. Yes ChattyKathy, you always have to look out for yourself, basically because no one else really cares. I know it sounds harsh but it's true. Her not even knowing I was pregnant with my file supposedly right in front of her sent up a red flag for me. Plus she was not a Dr. or NP. You can't ever be too careful.

ma1008 - October 25

i agree with the girls. you should tell the doctor what happened cause he may not even know that they are prescribing things, and if they've done this, can you imagine what other awful mistakes they could of made of make??

reneenay - October 25

Well, I just called another clueless person in the front office and left a message for my Dr. I will let them know what happened. I don't know what good it will do, but I'll inform them anyway. I go to a medical group, so it's a big place with 8 Dr's. The women in the front office are very busy and not very nice because of it. But the Dr's and NP's are all great. Like I said before, before you put anything in your body, especially when pregnant, make sure you double check anything that has been prescribed to you...especially if it has been prescribed by someone who is not a Dr or nurse. Jeez! I still can't believe it!

ma1008 - October 25

renee you are so right though. i even put taking tylenol off for my headaches even though i know its about the only safe thing to take. guess you can never be too careful. by the way what rea__sures you she didn't have the other ladys file instead of yours and you don't even have a yeast infection?? scary

reneenay - October 25

So I got a call back from someone...not my Dr. or NP, of course. All she said was that it's fine to take diflucan on a one time only basis. Then I asked the pharmacist when I picked it up and he said the same thing, but that they haven't done many studies to prove that it is safe or not. He said that Diflucan falls under a "category C" warning system for pregnancy and it should only be taken on a one time only basis. Uh, I'm a little worried about it, but I guess once will be fine. But always check to make sure, ladies!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?