Pain Meds What Is Safe

11 Replies
MrsShelton217 - March 8

Let me ask you all a question... well a few questions. #1. Is it normal or not to feel some crampiness? #2. I was diagnosed w/ Arthritis when I was only 11 years old. With my first pregnancies, I never had any flare ups. Now, I am in a flare up, my knees are swollen, and hurt very badly. My neck, shoulder, elbow, and hips are also hurting. I have been told that about the only safe pain reliever during pregnancy is Tylenol. Well, my problem is that tylenol does absolutely NOTHING for arthritis pain... I have always taken Aleeve, b/c it is an anti-inflamatory and a pain reliever... I don't think Aleeve (Naproxen) is safe though... Does anyone know anything about this? I need some relief quick...


ginger6363 - March 8

Have you asked your doctor? My OB said the only pain meds I could take was tylenol (and only after 12 wks unless I had special doctor's approval). I am sorry you are in pain--that doesn't sound fun at all.


MrsShelton217 - March 8

I just called DR office, and they said that he may can call something in for me. They are supposed to call me back with in the hour. This is the slowest hour ever!


lisarenee - March 8

I think my girlfriend was put on a heavy duty prescription pain reliever for pain during her pregnancy, lets see was it codine? One of those. Maybe your doctor has something stronger than tylenol that is safe. Unfortunantly I do not think the anti-inflamatories are ok.


stefkay - March 8

Hi, I read up a lot on this when I was pregnant and anti inflammatories are NOT ok...especially alleve (naproxsen sodium--sp?) Tylenol is ok, but like Ginger said, really only after 12 weeks and sparingly (I used it twice for a fever in the few weeks because fever is bad and I needed it to go down. You will probably be prescribed something with tylenol/acetaminophen in it, but with possibly codeine or hydrocodone. it's ok in small amounts and is much stronger. Good luck to you!


flipthea - March 8

When I was in my 1st trimester I didn't take any pain killers, despite of my back pain. My doc said take tylenol if I can't bear it anymore. I know if won't help u much. U can try some alternative therapies like biofeedback , meditation, a warm bath (not too warm). I had the same problem several yrs ago about arthritis, I was taking vioxx. I gave up on the docs and pretty much changed my lifestyle, changed what I eat, now I am pretty much symptom-free. I attribute the back pain to lifting at my job. U could also talk to a homeopathic doctor, of course u should mention that to ur OB as well.


celticfaere - March 9

I feel your pain I have a herniated disc in my L5 S1, and I am on Oxycocone 7.5/325, and just brought it down to 5/325. I have been in chronic pain for 2 years, and have tried almost everything just short of ripping my spine out. I just recently went through a series of epidurals, and caudal injections trying to fix the problem before we seek infertility methods as we were told there was a 94% chance of us not get pregn. naturally. Well the surgery made it worse and woo hoo for 6%. I researched it thouroughly on the internet because I was terrified of hurting my baby, as I have gone through all sorts of treatments to get pregnant. My OB-GYN said my dosage is fine I cut down to 2-3 a day, so I can cope and he is in contact with my pain management dr. It is really important to talk to your DR. Tylenol does c___p, barely takes a headache away I tried, and the raise in blood pressure, and fetal distress I caused was worse than taking the meds. They will probably pull me off the meds in the last 2-3 months so that the baby is not born dependent. There are some sites that tell you its ok, and some that say there will be some issues, breathing. Please consult with your doctor, and try to find a method to help you I know how unbearable the pain can be. Good luck


DeeD - March 9

Anti inflamatories are absoultely not safe. I have severe migraines when pregnant and have to take heavy duty stuff. I usually take darvocet, percocet both of which my doc okayed for me to take during pregnancy. Talk to your doctor, I am sure he has something he could prescribe for you. Good luck!


docbytch - March 11

I have worked in ERs as an RN and here is what I know: ALL NSAIDS are not take alleve, ibuprofen, advil, naproxen, ketoprofen, midol, etc. Tylenol is safe...but if ineffective...I saw many docs prescribing vicodin or oxycodone to pregnant women for miscellaneous issues. However, you would not want to take either of these drugs for prolonged periods during pregnancy. You may take them for acute pain situations and take as few as necessary to control your pain.


MrsShelton217 - March 12

Update on what my OB suggested... My OB has decided to contact my Rheumatologist and work together with him on this. Saturday morning i couldn't even get out of bed. My knee were SO swollen that I could not bend either one of them at all... I went to the ER about 2 hours after I woke up, and they drained the fluid off of my knees. My OB called me again this morning and said they they are going to get me in to see a perinatalogist later this week in a city about 2 hours from where I live. The PN is going to work w/ my Rheumatologist to get something worked out to control my flare-ups. I am better today, but still not 100%. Thanks to all of you for your input and advice!!


stacybwn - March 12

i have been taking hydroconde for 5 years and i just recently found out i was pregnant 9 weeks. The doctor told me to cut back causing quitting them all at once was some severe pain and vomiting so the only solution he said is to cut back on pain meds and only use as needed and that i needed to completely stop within a rea__sonable time


MrsShelton217 - March 12

I can't take anything containing hydrocodone, or hydrocodine. I am highly allergic to them. Yuck



You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Sign Up Here!

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Start A New Discussion