Previous C Section

11 Replies
Amara - May 17

I was just wondering, if you had a previous c-section how long did you stay in the hospital? {NOW ME RAMBLING} Yesterday, I was all perky (which is odd, because I have been angry lately), so I skipped into my doctors office for a routine visit, then she started rambling on that I was going to be given a c-section... I was like... uh okay... I guess because I had one before (due to still birth) they just took it upon themselves not to even let me try natural, but that was totally different circ_mstances... Yesterday I was fine with it, but today I am scared... not because of the surgery, because of the million I have had, but I HATE the taught of epidural... anything that involves my spine... no way... The only cool thing is that I might pick the day that my fiance and I met to have the c-section done... OKAY... Done rambling... :o)

 

Misty - May 17

Hey Amara, they can only give you the option to try for a VBAC if the hospital you are in has a anathesiologist (sp) there the whole time you are trying to give birth. Which not many do, mast have them on call. I did some research into this since I did have the option and decided against it anyways. The odds of having uterine rupture are too high. They didn't used to thinkit was that bad, then they did more research and found that 1 out of every 100 women that try for VBAC have uterine rupture. From there (this is why the anasthesiologist has to already be in the hospital) you have a 17 minute window to be operated on or you will bleed to death and your baby will have either brain damage or will die also because of lack of oxygen rich blood. Pretty scarey I thought, so I am having a scheduled c-section. I would be terrified the whole time on wether or not I would tear if I tried for a VBAC. In general you stay in the hospital for 5 days (I think) when you have a c-section. I loved it though because I surprisingly liked the food and I didn't have to do any cleaning. It was almost like a vacation. :-)

 

Amara - May 17

*hug* Awww... thanks Misty... good to know I have some company... I am more afraid of normal delivery than a c-section (with the exception of the epidural). The hospital I am going to... everyone is there anesthesia doctor. and all... and it's really excellent in the chain... then NICU everything... so let's keep our fingers crossed. Do you know when your c-section might be? Mines is the second week in August... hopefully I can choose August 16th..

 

chel - May 17

My doctor won't do a vbac. he really thinks the risk ourweighs the benefit. Uterine rupture can happen in a hearbeat. With my second c-section, I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days. I did great. It was alot easier than the first one. I aslo couldn't even feel the spinal go in. I am pregnant with #3 and we have already confirmed a delivery date of Oct. 17 with the doctor. I love being able to have a set date, unless we happen to go earlier!

 

Misty - May 17

My estimated due date is Oct. 14th. i was wanting to ask my doc though when I go in if I would be able to wait until I am starting to have contractions and then have the c-section on that day. Then I know my baby is here because s/he was ready and not because that is the date that was set. Know what I mean? I don't know if that is an option though, but I intend to find out anyways.

 

Amara - May 17

That's a good idea, Misty if you don't want to set the date. That way the baby got to choose something in this pregnancy. But since I had a previous m/c / stillbirth due to contractions... I had to watch my baby not able to take the contractions, and the heart rate go down and down... it was aweful... *sniff* (quickly changing the subject) Anyways though... Just to be silly, if I had a baby due in Feburary on a leep year... I would choose 29th... *wicked grin* But August 16th is sentimental though, so hopefully I can choose that date..

 

Amara - May 17

cool chel... the first day of the week... Monday Oct 17. It seems so far away though... but that's because you are watching the time... it will go by fast... and soon it will be here, and the holidays... plus you get to torture the baby on Halloween... with different costumes... if you are into that... I think it's cute.. How come they sent you home so fast with the previous though? I guess different hospitals have different policies...

 

Misty - May 17

Amara that is heart-breaking. I am so sorry. You must be terrified this time around. GL with everything.

 

JJ - May 17

I would actually prefer a csection, but I don't know yet if my doctor will do one simply based on my preference. I had one with my first child due to him being turned awkwardly (not breech), and then I had my 2nd child v____al. The thing is, he was already late and my body wouldn't dialate properly for some reason, so he was very stressed and extremely sick by the time he was born. I just don't want to risk the baby I am carrying now.. I don't want him or her to be sick and stressed and in danger.. so csection seems the best choice to me.

 

Sonya-edd 10/12/05 - May 17

Hey Amara, sorry to hear about your stillbirth. My friend lost her son in 2001 to this and it was devastating. I had a C-section in 2002 and the Dr. on call sent me home way too early. I had my son at 6:09 p.m. on a Thursday by c-section after 26 hours of labor and they sent me home on Saturday at noon. I was not perpared to go home. I want to stay longer this time but I also don't want to be away from my son. I also want my husband to stay with me overnight but I don't want my son to stay with relatives either. We don't know what we are gonna do. When my son stays with relatives they spoil him horribly and when we get him back it takes days to undo the damage. I really don't think I will be up to dealing with that. Oh gosh, I am rambling-sorry. My Dr. will not do VBAC's as his "team" thinks there are too many risks involved. He is the cheif of staff at our hospital so I feel very comfortable that he knows what he is talking abobut. GL

 

chel - May 17

Amara - My husband actually picked the date Oct. 17. He coaches football at one of our local schools. He and the other coaches decided a Monday would be best so that he would be able to make the Friday night game. Wait and see if this baby doesn't come on the Friday before the 17th. I think that would be really funny. He would really panic. To answer your question about leaving hospital early, we had a big snowstorm moving in and lived almost an hour from the hospital. Usually they keep you for 3 full days post c-section. My doctor was afraid I would get stuck there if I didn't leave when I did. Me and baby were doing excellent, so he thought it would be okay. We ended up getting almost 1 foot of snow which is alot for here in Ky.

 

chel - May 17

Amara - also wanted to wish you good luck this time around. I can't imagine what you went through before. Hope all goes well. Keep us informed.

 

ADD A COMMENT:


You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Sign Up Here!


Already a member?
Please login below.





Forgot your password?
Need Help?