Tanning-pg117149486884

25 Replies
Allisonc79 - February 16

Just get some natural sun instead. A little vitiman D and a glow can't hurt, as long as your not out there everyday doing the marathon tanning.

Faye84 - February 16

I miss tanning so much!! My doctor told me no to tanning beds. For the same reason why you should not go into hot tubs. I guess it heats up the placenta too much and Then when you get out it takes too long to cool off... something like that. I did try looking it up and couldnt find too much about it, ( tanning while pregnant) I would suggest to stay away from tanning until your done w/ being pregnant.

Faye84 - February 16

americanpregnancy. org/pregnancyhealth/tanningmethods.html Go there, It covers all kinds of tanning. Hope this helps a bit!

squished - February 17

I wouldn't tan, but I'd lay out if you live in a place that is warm enough :) If not I guess that you are just going to have to be a pale mommy :)

jen327 - February 17

I asked my OB this because I am going to be in a wedding. She said NO, she said the reason is because you need to keep you body temp as normal as possibe. This is why no Hot showers or baths, and not hot tubs. She said it increases the risk of birth defects when you body temp rises for more then a few mins. She told me to get a spray on tan :) I laughed and said, well I guess I will just be white as a ghost!

Shannon - February 18

i pretty much stopped tanning once i found out i was pregnant with my first baby. i heard that you aren't supposed to do it. then afterwards i felt like it wasn't worth it. i didn't have the time to go in like 3 days a week or whatever to maintain the darn tan.

PinkandBlue - February 18

Ultraviolet rays do not penetrate past your skin. You should absolutely do whatever YOUR doctor says, but I've never had a doctor say not to tan during pregnancy. The amount of UV needed to raise your core temperature would actually cause you significant pain. Moderate tanning isn't going to put you your child in danger and exposing yourself to a few minutes of UV light in a controlled atmosphere is no different than taking a stroll outside on a sunny day.

Tammy276 - February 18

A lot of doctors will tell you NOT to tan while pregnant because it is not worth the risk....do you sweat when you tan? Then it is enough to raise your body temperature to a dangerous level for the baby..which is the same reason why you are not supposed to be in hot tubs or saunas while pregnant. I guess its a personal choice and some people would rather look good and take the risk of harming their baby, than be pasty for a few months and know they are not doing any harm. Personally, I would rather be pasty knowing that I can go tanning after the baby comes.

TamaraAngel - February 19

I used to work with a little girl with Autism. Her parents are white, but she has very dark, olive skin. Her mom always joked that it was b/c she went tanning all thru-out pregnancy. I'm sure there is no correlation, but this thread reminded me of that... Anyhow, I always heard that you shouldn't tan during pregnancy, but here is what i found about it online: There are no studies that provide conclusive evidence that tanning beds directly harm your baby. However, the following are some ways that tanning beds can be harmful. Most health care providers advise against any activity that might raise your body temperature, such as saunas or tanning beds. Overheating is a__sociated with spinal malformations in the baby. Some studies also link UV rays and folic acid deficiency. Folic acid prevents neural tube defects, such as spina bifida, and is especially important in the first trimester. During pregnancy, your skin is more susceptible to burning and chloasma, the dark splotches that appear on the face during pregnancy.

MNMOM - February 19

why chance it? Just give it up until you are done being pregnant. Buy some self-tanning lotion to give yourself a little color in the meantime.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?