Grampa Viv-pg119513293020

14 Replies
Corrie - November 15

I have a question for you because I am not quite sure of the answer. I run 26 day cycles usually at the most. My lmp was October 27 and I am currently CD20. and due for my period on November 21. Now, if a pregnancy test can test as early as 4-5 days before AF is due, is that based on a 28 day cycle since that's the average? If I were to test 4 days before my period (Sunday, Nov 18th.) I figure I would be at 10dpo., wouldn't I still be likely to get a negative test? Now, I had strong cramping at 5-6dpo and have felt like AF was coming since then. I have the lotion discharge, dull headaches and frequent heartburn. (But it could be from the Jalapeños that I have been craving straight out of the jar.) So, my question is, to save my sanity and my pocketbook from purchasing multiple test unnecessarily, would it only make sense to test on the day my actual period is due? And then, would it also be quite possible that its too early? Thanks!

Corrie - November 15

Or anyone? The average person with a 28 day cycle would have a higher hCG level before their period, since my cycles are shorter, Right?

MAC_33 - November 15

Not necessarily. Cycle lengths vary based on the length between your period and ovulation. But almost everyone has a 14day luetal phase. So with a 26day cycle you only have to wait 12 days from the beginning of your period until ovulation. I on the other hand have a 40day cycle so I have to wait 26 days to ovulate. Our luetal phase stays the same though at 14 days.

anamaria - November 15

Good question....and the same applies to me...can anyone help us? I don't want to waste my $$ and ruin my mornings testing all negatives...for no reason

Corrie - November 15

True and I understand that Mac, but for example when I am due for AF, I will be 13dpo. Most (a__suming that 28 days is the average) would be15dpo. So when they take a pg test 5 days earlier than when they expect their period (11dpo) like FRER, their levels would be higher than mine, because if I took the test 5 days early, I would be 9dpo which would be Sunday. See what I mean?

Corrie - November 15

So, hypothetically, I would be more than likely to receive a Negative test if I tested more than a day earlier than when I expect AF. I could be wrong...But I am thinking this because I don't think my urine would have enough time to build up hCG any sooner than 11dpo. Same luteal phase as anyone else, but not soon enough to use an Early Response test...See my point?

MAC_33 - November 15

I'm confused. So what you are saying is that your LP is only 13 days, right? How do you know that you are 13dpo? Are you temping and using OPK?

anamaria - November 15

It would explain why I got a negative today! I didn't track my AF but I was due either this week or next...and I have too many symptoms that my normal cycle never has... I plan to wait until Tuesday.

poechrisk - November 15

Corrie, I actually have a long LP (17 days). The tests that claim you can test 5 days before your missed AF are basing that on the average 28 day cycle 14 day LP. If you ovulate earlier in the cycle (like me) you can actually test before 5 days before. If you have later ovulation (like you) you would have to wait and test 4 or 3 days before AF. Does that make sense? You don't really count the days before, you count to 14 dpo for the early response tests.

Corrie - November 15

Mac- I am saying, since my cycles are shorter than most (26 days is the longest I have ever had), by the time AF is due, I would be only 13 dpo because even though my cycles are short, my eggs do not move faster to implantation because of that (oh how I wish they did though). Therefore, Early Response tests wouldn't work for me because it wouldn't have time to build up. Look at it this way...I O'd on the 8th and AF is due on the 21st. I am currently 7dpo. If I am not pregnant, AF will be here like clockwork. If I am Pregnant, the hCH would more than likely give me a Negative if I tested early because the pregnancy tests are based on a 28 day cycle. So Instead of 4 days before a missed period, I would have to wait at least 2 days prior. Understand? So confusing! But it would explain why I never tested positive with either one of my two kids early before. (Funny, I am just figuring this out! haha) Those boxes need to change their advertising to a certain # of dpo instead of a general 4 days before AF!

Corrie - November 15

Poe- Exactly! That's what I am saying. Therefore, no matter how bad I want to test with FRER, I can't do it 4 days before my period because it would be negative. I think they need to change their advertising because it makes me THAT much more anxious!!! hahaha Do you have ANY idea how much $$ I have spent on tests in the past just to be disappointed?? Grr...I can't believe it took me this long to see I obsessed over something when it was theoretically too early, regardless of what the pretty pink box said...HAHA I think I am a HUGE idiot right about now!

Corrie - November 15

So, yeah...I think I will need to wait till Monday or Tuesday to test. Oh Poop! That's still 4 days away :( UGHH!

poechrisk - November 15

Corrie - not an idiot! Heck I didn't even know about Luteal phases and such until a few month ago! Plus, hpts are sooo misleading! I'll be 14 dpo on Monday, so I'll be testing then too if I don't get a BFP before then.

Corrie - November 15

Man, I have learned MORE about the Human Reproductive System on this site than I EVER did in Health Cla__s in High School (way back when!) haha Well, soon, I will be able to jump in on the POAS obsession...and I can't wait!!

Grandpa Viv - November 15

Ovulation and the next menstruation are 14 days apart. The follicular phase (before ovulation) is what varies most from one woman to another. In theory a day shorter cycle means you could test a cycle day shorter. In practice, the "4 to 5 days before your period" is a guideline for a minority of women. My experience a good guide is to test when a normal period is late, followed by another test a week later. both first morning pee. The Dollar Store tests are quite adequate for the purpose. Some women do not test positive until two weeks late, and a few even later. Good luck!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?