Bed Rest-pg119143086087

10 Replies
Pearl - October 3

I have been put on bed rest for the first time in my life. I had my weekly appointment yesterday (Tuesday 10-2). My blood pressure throughout my pregnancy has been steady at 120/72. The PA at my doctor's office gave me the news and I didn't know what to say. She pointed on my chart to the other boxes and explained them. My urine is negative for protein, no abnormal sugars, lost 2 pounds last week, baby measuring a little big but healthy heartbeat, then she showed me the blood pressure box....It was 150 over 68. She told me I had two choices. I could go to the hospital and check in and stay until my doctor got back into town and decided what to do (he will be back on Thursday), or I could go home and be on bed rest until my appointment on Thursday at 2pm. I chose to come home and be with my family. I told my boss and he was fine with it. His wife recently went through the same thing with their son. I am wondering what the doctor is going to say. I am 35 weeks 4 days today. What can I expect? If I am kept on bed rest, what should I expect? How did this happen? There were NO warning signs...I am a little confused. Any advice?

docbytch - October 3

Pearl did they recheck your pressure at all during the visit? The 150 is a bit high but it's the lower number (diastolic) that tends to concern docs more. Yours is fine. Bed rest is just the best way to keep your pressure down...which is why they recommend it. Have you had any consistent headaches? Blurry vision? right-sided abdominal pain? These are things that would coincide with the development of pre-eclampsia. The fact you do not have protein in your urine is very good. I would simply take it as easy as possible and when you see your doc next they will recheck your BP. It seems to me the PA who saw you is simply erring on the side of caution. Always a good idea with a pregnant woman in her third trimester...a most vulnerable time. I am on bedrest too....it's kind of a drag. Hope this helped!! You are almost there!

Pearl - October 3

I don't have any other symptoms really. My vision has been a little off...the occasional blurry spot while driving or head ache at the end of the day, but that's just been recent. I didn't really have any symptoms leading into this. I read that pre-eclampsia can be brought on by poor nutrition...Is that true? Is it possible that I haven't been eating enough? I have had a loss of appet_te lately, but I chalked it up to being late in pregnancy and not interested in food. Any input on that.

docbytch - October 3

Make sure to tell your doc about the blurry vision episodes as well as your headaches. The actual cause of pre-eclampsia is still largely unknown. It is more common in younger or older mothers in their first pregnancies though.

Pearl - October 3

I guess that's why I was so surprised. This is my third child and I am 25 years old... I don't know how you ladies deal with months of bed rest, but I am looking at 3 weeks from today until my (repeat) c-section is scheduled. I am hoping that the doctor will tell me that I can return to my normal life until the baby is born and that everything is OK, but I don't think it's likely. Why are you on bed rest docbytch?

docbytch - October 3

I have high blood pressure, Gest Diabetes, and protein in my urine. I am also 40 and have not had a child since my one daughter born in 1986. However...there are now 6 days left until my scheduled c section. Yay! He almost came early due to my BP...but the lungs were not quite mature enough. Otherwise he would have been born yesterday. Thankfully...my BP seems to have lowered somewhat. I have not had the headaches or blurry vision commonly a__sociated with pre-eclampsia though. Bedrest sucks. I am a clean freak and it is hard for me to sit around and not vacuum etc.. I want our home to be really nice when our son comes home from the hospital!!

Pearl - October 3

I am really struggling. My husband is at work all day and my oldest (daughter) is at school. I am here with my son (4 years old) and we are watching TV and coloring together. We read some stories and my mom will be over with my daughter this afternoon, but it's only the first day and I already screwed up and had to clean the living room a little. I put about 10 minutes in and folded the blanket and fluffed pillows. I went to the bathroom upstairs (my daughter's bathroom) and I REALLY wanted to clean the toilet. I am proud of myself for resisting the urge to scrub it down..lol What is your blood pressure looking like? How did you find out about the pre-eclampsia? Was it just a t a check up?

docbytch - October 3

I've had borderline BP the whole pregnancy. It may be a chronic problem...but the doc I saw last week (different than my usual doc) thought my BP seemed a little high...140s/90s. She seems to manage pts a little more conservatively. It was her idea to put me on bedrest. It's hard because My DH is gone for days at a time because he's an airline pilot so if his kids are at their moms (half the time they are and half the time they're here) I am totally alone during his absences. If I were you I would just take it easy from here on out. Pre-eclampsia can be dangerous to both mother and baby. I only know all this c___p because I am in the healthcare industry...I am a registered nurse who also completed most of Medical School. Thus all this online advice!

Pearl - October 4

It's the moment of truth. My appointment is about 4 hours away and I have no idea what my doctor is going to say/do. I am wondering if he is going to bump up my c-section date or if my blood pressure is better or worse...I guess I just have a lot of questions about what to expect. What if my blood pressure is higher? Will I have to go to the hospital and have tests done? Is there a possibility that it's gone down and I can return to my life? I guess we'll see. I am 35 w and 5 d now...I wonder what he will say. I guess it's just anticipation and anxiety.

docbytch - October 4

Pearl try not to be too nervous if you can. It will make your BP higher when you go in. Let me know how it goes 8-)

Pearl - October 4

I guess it's good news, but it still makes me sad. I am on bed rest until further notice. I'm sure that's what's best for the baby, but my blood pressure is still going up. I am at 154/82 now and my next appointment is Monday at 3pm. They told me that there is a chance that I won't be able to bring it down with rest and I could end up having him early. I am a little upset about it, but I understand that I need to relax as much as possible. On Monday I will be over 36 weeks, and my doctor is thinking that I will have to go in for my c-section at that time.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?