Castor Oil-pg119670779870

15 Replies
kristyn1028 - December 3

Im just curious who has used this method and what happened when they did. I don't think I will use it when the time comes because Im too nervous, but I still want to know. Is it something that should be used only after 37 weeks?? Has anyone used it earlier?? Is it really harmful?

DaBonkElsMe - December 3

Go to the search box and search for threads about castor oil. You'll read that many women have tried it and it has worked for some. I think statistically they say it's about a 50/50 chance of working. HOWEVER - It often casue severe cramping, vomitting, and diarrhea for women who have gone into labor afterwards and also for those wo did not. So it seems whether it works or not, your body goes through hell after you take it. No induction method should be used before 37 weeks, as your baby is not full term until 37 weeks, which means, he or she could end up in neo-natal or an incubator to fully mature - not all early babies have to go through that, but it is a risk before 37 weeks. I am anxious too, I am 39 weeks and having all kinds of signs, but no real labor yet. BUT I have chosen to stay away from the castor oil, as I hate throwing up and it really sounds aweful from what I have heard. Read up on it, then decide what's best for you. Good luck!

kristyn1028 - December 4

Thanks! Im not to partial on all that either... I dont think I would have to nerve to take something that might make me sick to my stomach. I'll just let her take her time!

BriannasMummy - December 4

I wouldnt use it at all before 37 weeks.. youve gotta make sure your baby grows nice and big before he/she comes out. My sister tried castor oil a couple of weeks ago.. she went into labour at 3:30am.. and had her baby girl at 9:16am. It works for some.. while for others it doesnt. It can cause diahrea.. so thats something youll have to watch for.. because we all know with diahrea comes dehydration.. not such a fun idea. Im not so sure on those studies that say it causes women to, cramp and have vomitting.. because without ever taking castor oil a HUGE portion of women will vomit and have cramping during labour.. and even not in labour. I personally dont know anyone that vomited after taking it.. and I know quite a few that have braved the castor oil. Anyway, good luck with your decision. ~Kristin~

Faye84 - December 4

It can hurt the baby. and it makes you poop nonstop, along with a bad stomach ache. Not recommended

DaBonkElsMe - December 4

So don't quote me on this, but I don't think it can hurt the baby at all. Many doctors have even recomended it to post term women, so that makes me think it's pretty safe for the baby. I am wondering where you read or heard that it could hurt the baby Faye. If you should happen to read this, I'd like to know where that info came from.

mrstj - December 6

Kristyn...I have taken it 2 times with both dd's and it worked both times for me. I was planning on taking it again for this baby, until my hubby asked my Dr. about it today. She said "it causes horrible diarea and dehydration for the mom" but she did not say anything at all about harming the baby. She doesn't know that I took it with my daughters and my experience was great. I did have very loose BM 2 hours after drinking it, but none after and my dd's were both born within 4 hours after that. My body does well with it - but that isn't always the case. If I do decide to take it, I will be taking it between 37-38 weeks. Good Luck to you...I'm right there with ya'....I'm 36wk3days.

Stephanie_31 - December 7

I used it with DD when I was 40w1d and it gave me diarrhea and made me sick. It didn't put me in labour at all, it just made me fell terrible. I did go into labour 6 days later, on my own. As for not harming the baby, this in not true either. If you don't go in labour it can pa__s to the baby and cause the baby to have a bowel movement (meconium). This happened with my daughter. Meconuim can cause lung infections and my she had to be put on antibotics hours after her birth. If all you get is sick and have the diarrhea, you have an increase chance of becoming dehydrated and this can also be harmful to the baby.

tskrawchuk - December 9

Hello, YESTERDAY (Friday) I took 7 tsp of Castor oil followed by a few small swigs of Pepsi....did LOTS of research and that was repeated often as the best way to fix the whole texture problem...(It is thick and kinda tastes like vaseline!) Anyhoo my cervex is 3 cm dilated baby is in -1 station and my cervex is 100% effaced, BUT all it did was give me some contractions (not really painful, and definately no pattern and gentle diarrhea, honest to god I chose when and where I wanted to go it was nothing URGENT and it was kinda nice to be cleaned out, its been so long cause baby has been in the way. LOL

tskrawchuk - December 9

Friday I took 7 tsp of Castor oil followed by a few small swigs of Pepsi....did LOTS of research and that was repeated often as the best way to fix the whole texture problem...(It is thick and kinda tastes like vaseline!) Anyhoo my cervex is 3 cm dilated baby is in -1 station and my cervex is 100% effaced, BUT all it did was give me some contractions (not really painful, and definately no pattern and gentle diarrhea, honest to god I chose when and where I wanted to go it was nothing URGENT and it was kinda nice to be cleaned out, its been so long cause baby has been in the way. LOL...BUT i guess I didn't take enough they say 2 oz I only took 1.01 or something liek that...so I'm giving myself until this Friday and trying to again, I'll get back to you!

tskrawchuk - December 9

OK so I got impatient I decided to drink the remaing 2 oz (that was left in the bottle) BUT because of my experience with the castor oil on Friday I really found it hard to actual bring the castor oil to my mouth so I did the next best thing I boiled my kettle mixed myself a small amount of raspberry leaf tea (my OBGYN told me it makes the uterus contract) dumped the castor oil in there and then mixed it a whole bunch (cause it seperates) and then chugged it, followed by my couple mouthfuls of pepsi. It was not gross AT ALL! Defintely reccommend taking it this way...I'll post tommorow to let you all know what happened!

tskrawchuk - December 10

& NO BABY YET... Ash just so you know by the time labour kicks in your already pretty much cleaned out lol! and it doesnt matter castor oil or not when you have a child whatever contents in the bowel are coming out...take it from me this is #3, and the nurses are very use to it cause this is an every day occurance for them you don't even know your doing it. Mind ya if you are uncomfortable with the idea I recommend eating smaller meals while in labour (eating actual slows labour down) and a fleet before you head into the hospital.

tskrawchuk - December 12

ok So im sick and tired of being preggers I have an appointment to be induced on Tuesday, Dec.18th BUT I chose to try the castor oil again this time I took 3 Oz (So the whole bottle!) I just drank it, either I'll come back and let you know it didn't work or it did....no news is good news LOL!

Faye84 - December 13

I spoke to my doctor about it. Can put the baby into fetal distress. Also was told about the issue in this article below. Its never been Proven, but why take the chances if their IS a possible chance. Just suck it up for two weeks. If you can go 37 weeks you can do an additional 3. justmommies.com/articles/castor-oil-to-induce-labor.shtml

jenessa - December 13

I'll tell you what, I've tried just about everything at this point, and while some of it gave me contractions, none put me into labor. I didn't try castor oil, but I tried just about everything else. Evening primrose oil, both v____ally and orally, red raspberry leaf tea, acupressure, fresh pineapple, spicy foods, oregano, s_x, niplle stimulation, etc. I, personally, feel at this point that the baby will come when ready. I think that the women this stuff has "worked" on were actually ripe and ready already, and that it was coincidence that when they tried these things that they "worked". Of course, I see no harm in trying them once you're FULL term. But, don't be disappointed if none of it works.

tskrawchuk - December 13

ok So NOTHING.... I am full term going in for induction Dec.18th this tuesday. My Obgyn Dr. Black actaully told me to try this method, it doesn't harm you (if you keep hydrated) or baby (it doesn't even cross over to the baby. ALSO those of you whom have heard that it causes the baby to pa__s meconium while still in utero that hasn't been substantiated. I have tried this 3 times but only once with the correct dose (yesterday) I have been pa__sing bloody mucas, as well as clear white stretchy mucas all night and all today. I am going to see my doctor tommorow and will have my cervix checked last time it was checked it was 3 cm dilated 100% effaced.....we'll see if it has changed. I also have tried nipple stimulation from an electric B.P. and so many other methods....hopefully baby comes before my induction #3 (my last) was suppose to come naturally! BUT He just don't wanna come..hehe GOOD LUCK!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?