GBS-pg112983630818

5 Replies
KSM - October 20

I am looking for as much first-hand info that anyone can give on GBS. I was tested twice, once early in my pregnancy and did NOT have it and then again at 28 wks when I did the sugar test and now they say I do have it. I've read all the articles that people have posted links for and am becoming more and more distraught. They say 5-15% of babies (2,000 a year) DIE from this and others can have severe infections or suffer mental disabilites. Also that in some cases it not only can pass during birth but in-utero?? This is my first baby, a girl, and I can't even put into words how sick with worry I am. My nurse midwife did not prescribe any antibiotics for me now, she mentioned it only with the IV during delivery. Should I ask for something to take now? Should I schedule a C-Section and hope that I don't go into labor prior to it? The pamphlet she gave me today says antibiotics aren't necessary in women who have planned a cesarean birth. PLEASE pass along any info or thoughts....

Kelly K - October 20

Being Group B Strep positive is not a problem in most cases. As long as you are administered antibiotics during labor the baby should be fine. There is no need to schedule a c-section. My doc told me it's nothing to really worry about. That if I don't get both doses of antibiotics during labor that they will swab the babies mouth to see if she had the infection and also give her antibiotics to be on the safe side. My doc said it absolutely does not pa__s to the baby before delivery. It's a bacteria that is only carried in the v____a. Your midwife shouldn't have scared you like that. My doc even said that this bacteria just grows natually in some women. That even when you take the antibiotics, it'll come back later.

SRG - October 20

I was am 37 weeks and I was tested at 35 weeks and the results were fine, but a close friend of mine tested positive, she was so upset and worried but it was fine all they did was give her the antibiotics right before she delivered. Her son is 2 and he is perfect and she is perfect!

:) - October 20

KSM- GO TO www.babycenter.com ON THEIR WEBSITE THEY HAVE A SEARCH BAR ON THE THE LEFT HAND SIDE TYPE IN GSB AND HIT 'SEARCH' IT WILL TAKE YOU TO A PAGE WITH 3 CHOICES, CLICK ON THE FIRST CHOICE (GROUP B STREPTOCOCCUS SCREENING) this will answer your questions!

KSM - October 20

Thanks again for the info and help. Everything I'm reading now says that if they find it in urine, which they did with mine, that I should have been treated with oral antibiotics immediately. Apparently if you have it as a urinary tract infection it poses higher risks to the baby. BUT, my CNM never told me that or prescribed anything. I'm really upset. Gonna call tomorrow and ask to speak with a OB doctor. Thanks again girls~

holly - October 20

i tested positive for GBS in my urine. My doctor gave me antibiotics but also said that after finishing the antibiotics, they will not do anything more until i give birth. They will do the same as they do with everyone. My doctors words were,"the bacteria tend to be a little more feisty when detected in your urine." Either way, you will still get antibiotics before delivery. I was worried, but i am not anymore. There are sooooo many women who test positive for it. It is a natural bacteria that forms in our bodies for one reason or another.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?