Green Tea-pg113075145218

3 Replies
NewMama23 - October 31

I'm currently 29 weeks. I'm not trying to induce labor or anything, but I've always had a soothing cup of green tea whenever I got a cold and it always helped (pre-pregnancy). Now, I'm sick as a dog and need something to make me and of course my little one feel better. What can I do? I'm already afraid of taking any medicine what else is there to try?

Swtpea - October 31

=o/ I'm sorry you're sick. I am still .... STILL finishing off a cold... its been 3wks, and my 2nd nasty cold in less than 3 months. I am 31wks this week, ... my last visit the doctor said it was okay to take a tylenol to help ease any aches or pains a__sociated w/the cold and tylenol pm at night if I should need to sleep better. She said to keep the yuckies out (phlem and boogers) and keep hydrated. I have been drinking a lot of water,oj, and ... I have sipped on regular tea with lemon(warmed of course), as well as hot chocolate. I thought I was nearly over it last week... perhaps I was... and have a new one already? *shrugs* but it is not fun. (if you are uncertain, ask the nurse at the dr's office or your dr if you're lucky to spk with him/her). 'Tis this season .... I usually, before being pregnant, would get a cold 2 times a year, pretty nasty ones and that is it, I havent even had the flu in ... I dont know how long. So having 2... maybe 3 with in 3 months .... really knocks it out of me, ... on top of being pregnant =o)... doesnt help either. Take care of you and baby =o)... hope you feel better soon *hugs*.

Jennifer - October 31

Green tea has recently been proven to cause spinal bifida and other spinal/brain disorders. I made the same mistake early in pregnancy, and my doctor freaked out when I told her that I had been drinking it. It is most harmful in the very early stages of pregnancy (which is when I was drinking 2-3 cups per day) and when consumed in large quant_ties, but you should try switching to another warm tea or beverage to soothe your symptoms.Everything is fine with my baby, and I'm not trying to scare you, but I just wanted to pa__s on this information. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

Hi - October 31

Green tea does NOT cause those disorders. It can block folate, which is a B vitamin found in a variety of foods and added to many vitamin and mineral supplements as folic acid, a synthetic form of folate. Folate is needed both before and in the first weeks of pregnancy and can help reduce the risk of certain serious and common birth defects called neural tube defects, which affect the brain and spinal cord. Having said all of that, at 29 weeks neural tube defects are not a concern as it is most important in early pregnancy to make sure you are getting your folate. Another concern though might be that it can block iron and make you anemic. Just don't have your prenatal vits with a cup of tea have some OJ instead it help with iron absorbtion. Green tea IS good for you though and has some benefits to the fetus as well. As with everything do it in moderation.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?