Gaining weight when pregnant with twins
- Eat foods that are rich in nutrients and calories: Peanut butter, nuts, and yogurt are easy to snack on, but are rich in calories and those much needed vitamins and minerals.
- Eat more often: Try eating smaller meals throughout the day, so that you don’t get too full, too fast.
- Drink your calories: Try drinking milkshakes and fruit smoothies to increase your caloric intake. These drinks are healthy and will help you put on the weight more easily.
Vitamins and Minerals
Women who are pregnant need to make sure that they are getting the proper vitamins and minerals in order to maintain a healthy pregnancy.
Vitamins and minerals play a vital role in helping your baby develop his organs, tissues, and muscles. It also contributes to healthy eyesight, hearing, and mental development.
Women who are expecting twins or multiples need to take in more of certain nutrients in order to be sure that each baby receives his fair share.
Here are some guidelines to follow when it comes to getting the right amount of vitamins and minerals:
- Calcium: Pregnant women need to take in approximately 1,000 mg of calcium daily throughout their pregnancies. If you are expecting twins or multiples, however, you will probably need a little bit more. Try to ingest at least 1200 mg of calcium (this is equivalent to about 4 cups of milk).
- Folic Acid: Folic acid is essential to your baby’s health, particularly in the first trimester. Without the proper amounts of folic acid, there is a risk that your baby will experience neural tube defects, like spina bifida. Women who are pregnant with twins or multiples should try to get in the same amount of folic acid as women expecting single babies (approximately 800 micrograms a day).
- Iron: If you are expecting twins or multiples, be sure to get your iron levels checked during your prenatal checkups. Because of the increased blood flow with twin and multiple pregnancies, iron levels can drop dramatically, causing anemia.
- Fiber: Women who are expecting twins or multiples are also often asked to take a fiber supplement. This is because the demands of a multiple pregnancy can leave you more prone to constipation. Fiber supplements can be purchased from your local pharmacy.
|Table of Contents|
|1. Diet for Twins and Multiples|
|2. Twins: Tips for weight gain|
|3. Diet tips for having twins|